Amara View Mask – Philips Respironics
The Amara View from Philips Respironics is a full face mask for CPAP therapy that does not cover up the face. The Amara View’s cushion occludes the nostrils and mouth but leaves most of the nose uncovered. Neither the cushion nor the headgear gets in the way of the eyes, leaving the face wide open for wearing glasses. You can enjoy reading, watching TV, or playing games before bed. Minimal contact on the face reduces red marks and discomfort.
- Lightweight full face mask
- Unobstructed vision
- Easy to connect and disconnect
The Amara View full face mask has only three primary parts: the cushion, a small frame with a short connecting tube, and headgear. The oval-shaped face cushion sits under the nose and over the mouth, so it is lighter on the face than traditional triangular nasal masks. No part of the Amara View contacts the bridge of the nose or the forehead. The footprint of the cushion on the face is narrow enough to permit side sleeping without any plastic or silicone parts in the way.
Open field of vision
Since the face cushion covers only the tip of the nose and the mouth, the Amara View grants the sleep apnea patient a wide field of vision. The Amara View’s headgear provides robust stability for the face cushion while still leaving vision unobstructed and the forehead untouched. The headgear rests flat against the back of the head. Side straps come above and below the ear, attaching to the top and bottom of the cushion. A crown strap provides an additional point of adjustment for fine tuning fit.
Set, connect, and forget
Clip connections let you connect the headgear quickly to the mask cushion. The headgear has five points of adjustment. Once set initially, there is rarely a need to undo the headgear. The headgear can be removed from the frame for cleaning without undoing the Velcro positioning which can stretch out the headgear or reduce Velcro stickiness. You can simply pull the headgear on night after night. A quick clip release is located at the top of the short tube, so if you need to disconnect briefly in the middle of the night, you can readily do so safely without removing the mask.
Sizing and Fitting
The Amara View is available in three sizes of face cushions: small, medium, and large. The length of the nose is the primary determinant of the best size cushion for the Amara View. A size gauge is located here to help you assess the best size for you. A Fit Pack purchase option includes all three sizes of face cushions so that you can determine the best one for you at home in your bed.
- Before each use: Visualize that the air entrainment flapper in the mask’s elbow is lying flat. Do not use the mask if the flapper is not functioning.
- Place the nose over the nostril opening on the cushion.
- Hold the mask on the face with one hand and lift the headgear over the head with the other hand.
- Clip the headgear to the cushion.
- Adjust the bottom straps first, then the top straps.
- Adjust the crown straps to keep the side straps off the ears.
- Make final adjustments with the CPAP or BiPAP machine turned on while lying in bed and breathing with the mouth slightly open.
Adjusting for leaks
- Always try reseating the cushion first.
- With the headgear in place, lift the mask cushion away from the face and then return it to position.
- Reseating smooths out wrinkles in the silicone and is often all that is needed to get an effective seal.
- For leaks around the nose, evenly adjust the top straps to tilt the cushion closer to the nose.
- For leaks around the mouth or chin, evenly adjust the bottom straps to tilt the cushion closer to the lower face.
- Only adjust the crown strap to make the headgear more comfortable by getting it away from the ears.
- For persistent leaks, identify the location with your finger, and gently adjust the strap closest to the leak.
Avoid overtightening headgear as it can make leaks worse. Red marks, skin bulges, and discomfort are signs that the headgear is too tight. Consider a different size cushion for a better fit.
Care of the Mask
Recommended cleaning frequency
- Daily: cushion and frame, including quick release short tube
- Weekly: headgear
- Wash in warm soapy water using a mild dish soap.
- Rinse thoroughly in clean water.
- All parts should be air dried out of direct sunlight.
Important: Do not clean with products containing alcohol, scents, antibacterial agents, antiseptics, bleach, chlorine, or moisturizers. Do not soak any parts for more than 10 minutes.
- Frame - Polycarbonate
- Cushion - Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR)
- Elbow - Polycarbonate
- Swivel - Polycarbonate
- Entrainment valve diaphragm - Liquid silicone rubber (LSR)
- 15mm Tubing - Thermoplastic polyester elastomer
- Headgear Clip - Thermoplastic polyester elastomer
- Quick-release feature - Polyoxymethylene (Acetal)
- Headgear - Polyurethane, Nylon-Lycra
- Operating Range 4 to 30 cmH20
How do the Amara View and DreamWear Full differ?
Both the Amara View and DreamWear Full masks use a minimal contact face cushion that rests under the nose and over the mouth. The Amara View has an under the mask connection and uses headgear that is more typical of CPAP and BiPAP masks. The DreamWear Full connects to the CPAP machine over the head and has a silicone frame that also functions as headgear. Both keep the forehead and bridge of the nose untouched.
Can the Amara View be used with any machine?
Absolutely. The Amara View has a standard connection and works well with any standard CPAP or BiPAP machine. The minimal contact full face design is novel, but that does not prevent it from working with standard machines.
Final CPAPMan comments
The Amara View was rather revolutionary when it came out, offering full face mask support without full face contact. It continues to be an excellent choice for full face mask CPAP users who prefer more traditional headgear over the more recently released DreamWear Full face mask. The headgear on the Amara View is quite soft and retains its shape well, providing reliable support for the oval-shaped face cushion. Pick one up from CPAPMan to check out how light and unrestricted full face mask sleep therapy can be!
|Model||1090622, 1090623, 1090624, 1090670|
|Material||Mask Frame- Thermoplastic Polyester Elastomer, Cushion- Silicone, Headgear-Urethane and Lycra|
INCLUDED WITH ITEM
- Philips Respironics Amara View Mask Frame
- Philips Respironics Amara View Cushion
- Choose the Fit Pack to receive three sizes of face cushions or choose packaging with a single small, medium, or large cushion.
- Philips Respironics Amara View Headgear with Talon Clips
- Philips Respironics Amara View Short Tube and Swivel Connector
Have a question on this item? Ask here and we will answer it in 12-24 hours, usually in a few business hours! Questions and answers will appear here after we answer. You may also have email notifications.