ResMed AirMini Auto Travel CPAP Machine
ResMed’s AirMini is a portable CPAP machine that offers the proven, patient-centric technology of ResMed’s AirSense 10 in a tiny, efficient package. The AirMini includes three therapy modes as well as a waterless humidification system. Bluetooth integration connects the AirMini to a smartphone app for data integration and for accessing some system controls. Although designed to be a travel CPAP machine, the AirMini packs in many comfort features found in full size machines, such as pressure ramp and expiratory pressure relief. Please note: The AirMini Auto Travel CPAP machine is optimized for use with the narrow, lightweight AirMini tubing and either the AirFit F20, AirFit F30, AirTouch F20, AirFit N20 or AirFit P10 for AirMini masks. A unique adaptor connects these masks to the AirMini tubing.
- Practical, reliable, and quiet
- Three modes of sleep therapy
- Waterless humidification
- Ramp and expiratory pressure relief
- Bluetooth connectivity to a smartphone
Small, portable, and airline ready
Weighing less than a pound (0.66 pounds, actually), the AirMini is compact enough to fit in a coat pocket or purse. The AirMini ships with an attractive, drawstring pouch to let you transport it securely. It is FAA approved for use onboard aircraft. Turn off the Bluetooth connection, plug it in, and put your mask on. The AirMini tubing is lightweight and packs up small for simple transport.
All the synchrony of the ResMed AirSense 10
The AirMini has three selectable modes of therapy: fixed level CPAP, AutoSet, and AutoSet for Her. AutoSet and AutoSet for Her are AutoPAP modes that use the proven auto-adjusting algorithm for pressure delivery from the AirSense 10 and the AirSense 10 for Her. When configured, SmartStart and SmartStop trigger the AirMini to start and stop therapy without pushing any buttons. Therapy starts when the AirMini detects a breath and ends when the AirMini detects that the mask has been removed. A pressure ramp supports acclimation to therapy each night by initiating therapy at a reduced pressure and gradually increasing it over a fixed time frame. Expiratory pressure relief offers up to three degrees of pressure decline during exhalation to make it more comfortable to breathe out.
Humidification without a humidifier
When used with the AirFit N20 nasal mask or the AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask for the AirMini, the circular HumidX or HumidX Plus heat-moisture exchanger slips inside the connector between the mask and tubing to deliver humidified air without a humidifier, distilled water, or a heater. Heat-moisture exchangers are sometimes referred to as artificial noses. Heat-moisture exchangers collect water vapor from exhaled breaths and return it to the user during inspiration. The HumidX is ideal for most travel situations while the HumidX Plus is an excellent choice for low humidity environments such as airplanes and high altitude.
Set-Up and Maintenance
- Place the machine on a sturdy surface within easy reach of the power outlet.
- Routine maintenance and cleaning are critical contributors to successful sleep therapy and satisfaction with the device.
- The air filter should be replaced at least every six months.
- Check the filter regularly and replace it sooner should it become blocked or damaged.
HumidX and HumidX Plus
- Replace the HumidX and HumidX Plus heat-moisture exchanger at least every 30 days, sooner if it becomes dirty.
- The HumidX and HumidX Plus heat-moisture exchangers are not washable.
- Daily: mask connector
- Weekly: AirMini tubing and device exterior
Note: The HumidX and HumidX Plus heat-moisture exchangers are NOT washable and should be replaced every 30 days once out of the packaging.
Note: the device itself must NEVER be submerged in water
Part cleaning (tubing and connectors)
- Hand wash in warm water with a mild dish soap.
- Use a soft bristle brush on the vent holes.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Air dry only away from direct sunlight.
- Hang the tubing with both ends pointing toward the ground while drying.
AirMini Mask and tubing compatibility
- The ResMed AirMini as sold works only with the AirMini tubing and only with select ResMed masks that have ResMed connectors for use with the AirMini.
- AirFit F20 full face mask
- AirFit F30 full face mask
- AirTouch F20 full face mask
- AirFit N20 nasal mask
- AirFit P10 for AirMini (note: this is an AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask designed for the AirMini, the “regular” AirFit P10 is not compatible)
- The waterless humidification (HME) system cannot be used with full face masks.
Why does the AirMini not work with every mask?
The AirMini is optimized to work with a smaller bore tubing that does not connect to standard mask fittings. The waterless humidification (HME) requires a special connector as well. The AirMini is sold with your choice of compatible mask and connector.
There is a third-party adapter that connects standard (not heated) CPAP tubing to the AirMini. When standard tubing is used with this adapter, you can use any standard CPAP mask. You will not be able to use ResMed’s HumidX or HumidX Plus HMEs for waterless humidification.
I currently use the AirFit P10 nasal pillows, so I’m set. Right?
The standard AirFIt P10 nasal pillows are not compatible due to the connection to the tubing. When ordering the AirFit, choose the option with the AirFit P10 for AirMini. You will get the same mask you already enjoy with the connections you need for the AirMini.
Can I use the AirMini 365 days a year and not have a different home machine?
Although the AirMini has all the functionality of the AirSense 10, it is intended for travel use only. Portable CPAP machines are amazing, but they are not designed for use every night of the year.
Do I have to have a smartphone to turn the AirMini on and off?
No. The AirMini has an on / off button. If SmartStart and SmartStop are configured, taking a breath or removing the mask will cycle the machine on and off. If you choose to connect it via Bluetooth to a smartphone, the AirMini app retrieves data about your sleep. The AirMini app also gives you access to some setting controls like ramp or expiratory pressure release.
Final CPAPMan Comments
It is hard to beat the feature set in the AirMini Auto Travel CPAP machine. It has all the comfort settings expected in a contemporary full size CPAP machine. It even employs the auto-adjusting algorithms from both the AirSense 10 and the AirSense 10 for Her. The ability to use a heat-moisture exchanger for humidification during travel is quite cutting edge for sleep apnea therapy. Determining what mask and parts are needed to access all the capabilities of the AirMini fully may be a bit confusing, but the customer service staff at CPAPMan are ready for your questions, so give them a call and put a full-featured travel AutoPAP in the palm of your hand!