How to Connect a Humidifier to an Oxygen Concentrator
Published on Tuesday 21 February, 2023
Using a humidifier with an oxygen concentrator can help prevent dryness and irritation of the nasal passages, mouth, and throat that can occur when breathing in dry oxygen. Here are the steps to connect a humidifier to an oxygen concentrator:
- Gather the necessary supplies: You will need an oxygen concentrator, a humidifier, a connector tube, and distilled water.
- Fill the humidifier with distilled water: Follow the manufacturer's instructions for filling the humidifier with distilled water. It's important to use distilled water instead of tap water, as tap water can contain minerals and impurities that can damage the humidifier and contaminate the oxygen.
- Connect the oxygen concentrator to the humidifier: Attach one end of the connector tube to the oxygen outlet on the concentrator and the other end to the humidifier inlet. Make sure that the connections are secure.
- Connect the oxygen delivery device to the humidifier: Attach the oxygen delivery device, such as a nasal cannula or face mask, to the humidifier outlet.
- Turn on the oxygen concentrator and humidifier: Turn on the oxygen concentrator and the humidifier. The oxygen will flow through the water in the humidifier, adding moisture to the oxygen.
- Monitor the humidifier water level: Check the humidifier water level regularly and refill it with distilled water as needed.