ResMed Mirage FX Nasal CPAP Mask
The ResMed Mirage FX nasal mask for CPAP offers freedom and flexibility with a simple, intuitive fit. The Mirage FX uses an over the nose cushion with a slim, lightweight frame and smartly contoured headgear to deliver the same stable performance often only found in bulkier masks. Sizing and fitting are a cinch with users only needing to decide between standard and wide sizes.
- Flexible forehead support
- Lightweight yet stable cushion and frame
- Quiet and soft with breathable headgear
Freedom to move and see
Although the mask frame uses a stabilizing bar that runs from the nasal CPAP cushion to the center of the forehead, the forehead bar is very slender, so vision remains unobstructed. The thin frame mitigates feelings of claustrophobia. An elbow at the front of the frame has squeeze-tabs to allow rapid disconnection from the CPAP machine without removing the mask, so getting in and out of bed during the night is hassle-free.
Solid yet comfortable
The Mirage FX skips the standard silicone forehead pad. Instead, an innovative butterfly wing design provides smooth, soft stability across the forehead. The butterfly wings flex to whatever position is necessary for optimal support and eliminate any plastic parts against the forehead. The Mirage FX nasal mask uses Philips Respironics’ Dual-wall Spring Air Cushion. The SpringAir cushion evenly distributes air pressure through all sides to reduce pressure points. The cushion is also thinner at the nasal bridge to prevent abrasions where the skin is quite thin. The SoftEdge headgear is breathable and flexible. The headgear strap arches up at behind the neck to put a tad less pressure on the spine.
Simple to use and quiet to wear
With only four parts (headgear, frame, cushion, and elbow), the Mirage FX nasal mask for CPAP snaps together and comes apart easily for cleaning. With only two sizes to choose from (standard and wide), size selection is much easier than with many masks. The Mirage FX Wide includes not just a wider nasal cushion but also a wider frame. In addition, the cushion with the Mirage FX Wide is a bit shallower and the frame a bit shorter to get a comfortable seal against a flatter nasal bridge. Diffused air vents are arranged in a circle around the center of the mask near the elbow to quiet exhaled gas flow, and vent exhaled air flow away from the CPAP user and the bed partner.
The Mirage FX Nasal Mask may be a great CPAP mask for you if:
- You want a stable mask with a lightweight fit.
- You have a wider nose or flatter facial structure that may benefit from the Wide option.
- You breathe mostly through your nose.
Sizing and Fitting
The Mirage FX nasal mask is available in two sizes: standard and wide. The frame and the cushion have different dimensions in the two size options. Select the size that covers the entire nose and does not block the nostrils. A sizing gauge can be found here.
A version of the Mirage FX nasal mask for women is also available. The Mirage FX For Her comes in small and standard sizes.
- Remove the elbow from the mask.
- Disconnect the lower straps and hold the cushion over the nose.
- Slide the headgear up and over the head.
- Bring the lower strips under the ears and hook them to the frame.
- Adjust the upper straps first, tightening them until the mask sits comfortably over the nose.
- Adjust the lower straps next, tightening them until the mask feels stable.
- Connect to your CPAP machine and turn it on.
- Make additional small adjustments to the cushion and headgear to remove creases and torque.
- Leaks often resolve by merely reseating the mask. To reseat the mask, lift it gently off your face then lower it back down onto your face.
- Prevent cushion creases by always starting with the mask held in the proper position against your nose. If the cushion slides down during fitting, it may crimp in places, creating gaps that cause leaks. To resolve creases, try pinching the mask. If pinching does not solve the problem, remove the mask entirely, and start the fitting process over.
- Clean the cushion. Dirt, oil, and makeup can hinder the cushion from forming the best seal.
- Overtightening headgear can make leaks worse, cause discomfort, red marks, and skin irritation.
- The upper straps on the Mirage FX are the key to establishing a good seal.
- The lower straps stabilize the mask and should require minimal tension.
- Consider changing sizes of the cushions or headgear if you need to tighten the headgear excessively.
Adjusting for noise
- Check for leaks.
- Verify that the elbow is inserted correctly.
- Check the diffusion ports on the elbow for blockage. Clean with a soft bristle brush.
Care of the Mask
Recommended cleaning frequency:
- Daily: cushion, frame & elbow
- Weekly: headgear
- Wash in warm soapy water using a mild dish soap.
- Use a soft bristle brush on the small vent holes.
- Rinse in clean water.
- All parts should be air dried out of direct sunlight.
Important: Do not clean with products containing alcohol, scents, antibacterial agents, antiseptics, bleach, chlorine, or moisturizers. Do not soak any parts for more than 10 minutes.
Replace the cushion when it is no longer transparent or if it cracks or tears. Replace the headgear when it stretches so much that it is necessary to tighten it excessively.
In the Package
- Mirage FX Headgear
- Mirage FX Frame
- Mirage FX Nasal Cushion
- Mirage FX Elbow with quick-release squeeze tabs
- ResMed Mirage FX Mask Cushion
- ResMed Mirage FX CPAP Mask Headgear
- ResMed Mirage FX CPAP Mask Frame with Cushion
- Frame: Nylon, Silicone
- Cushion: Silicone
- Elbow: Polypropylene, Thermoplastic Elastomer
- Headgear: Nylon, Lycra, Polyurethane Foam
Operating Conditions 4-20 cmH20
The mask seems a bit noisy suddenly. What can I do?
If the mask is not leaking, the noise could be coming from the elbow or from the diffusion ports. Verify that the elbow is inserted correctly and check the diffusion ports on the elbow for blockage. The diffusion ports should be cleaned with a soft bristle brush.
The mask fit quite well the first several months. Now it’s getting harder to get a good seal. What happened?
The cushion and headgear on any CPAP mask must be replaced at regular intervals. The cushion loses its support over time and the headgear stretches out and no longer fits as well. CPAPMan has all the replacement parts you need to keep your mask in top condition!
The Mirage FX nasal mask is well worth the purchase if you want a stable nasal mask with a lightweight fit. The Mirage FX also has an option for a Wide size to accommodate more face shapes. Let the customer service folks at CPAPMan help you pick the best Mirage FX for you! Give it a try and sleep better with less fuss!
INCLUDED WITH ITEM
- Mirage Fx Nasal Mask
Have a question on this item? Ask here and we will answer it in 12-24 hours, usually in a few business hours! Questions and answers will appear here after we answer. You may also have email notifications.