Oxygen Therapy: How to Prepare for Power Outages
Published on Wednesday 22 February, 2023
If you are using an oxygen concentrator and there is a possibility of a power outage, it is important to be prepared in advance to ensure your safety and well-being. Here are some steps you can take to prepare for a power outage when using an oxygen concentrator:
- Have a backup power source: Consider purchasing a backup power source, such as a generator or an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), to provide power to your oxygen concentrator during an outage. A UPS can provide temporary power to the concentrator during a power outage, ensuring that the person using the oxygen concentrator continues to receive the oxygen they need to breathe. The UPS is connected to the oxygen concentrator and provides power through the battery backup system when there is a power interruption.
- Notify your utility company: If you rely on electricity for your oxygen concentrator, notify your utility company about your medical needs to ensure you are a priority customer during power outages.
- Have a backup oxygen supply: Keep a backup supply of oxygen on hand, such as oxygen tanks, to use in case of a power outage.
- Keep your oxygen concentrator manual close: Keep your oxygen concentrator manual close to your concentrator and make sure you know how to properly use your backup power source.
- Stay informed: Keep yourself informed of the weather and power outage alerts in your area. If you know a storm is coming or there is a chance of a power outage, prepare in advance.