How to Use a Pulse Oximeter
Published on Tuesday 21 February, 2023
Here are the general steps for using a pulse oximeter:
- Wash your hands with soap and water to clean them before handling the device.
- Insert the batteries into the pulse oximeter, if necessary.
- Turn on the pulse oximeter by pressing the power button.
- Place your finger inside the device. The pulse oximeter will have a clip or probe that you attach to your finger. Make sure the clip or probe is secure and comfortable.
- Keep your hand still and relax while the pulse oximeter takes a reading. This usually takes a few seconds.
- Read the oxygen saturation (SpO2) and pulse rate values on the display screen. The SpO2 value is the percentage of oxygen saturation in your blood, while the pulse rate is the number of heartbeats per minute.
- Record the reading in a logbook or note-taking app, if desired.
- Turn off the pulse oximeter by pressing the power button when you're finished.